Sumomo is an incredibly fun and cute character from the super popular Japanese anime/manga series Chobits! If you’d like to cosplay her, read on our “Mini Cosplay Guide” series for some great ideas and handy hints, as well as some cool cosplay photos! Note: I am currently selling the Sumomo costume pictured in the photos! View my second hand cosplay costumes for sale page for more information!
CosplayKitten’s Mini Cosplay Guide Series: Sumomo (Chobits)
Chobits is a Japanese manga and anime series, and an interesting mix of sci-fi and romantic comedy. It was published in early 2000 and is still hugely popular!
The protagonist of the story is 18-year-old Hideki Motosuwa, a young man attending prep school in hopes of making it to university. The story takes place in a world where humans live together with androids called “persocoms”. Hideki stumbles across an abandoned “persocom” and names her Chii as this is the only word she can say. Chii has a lot to learn about everyday life, and as she and Hideki live together they gradually start developing feelings for each other.
Sumomo (also called “Plum” in the English version) is a “persocom” like Chii, but a much smaller one as she is a miniature “mobile” model. In the beginning of the story, Sumomo belongs to Hideki’s neighbour, Hiromu Shinbo. She is bright, cheerful and hyperactive which makes her a super fun character!
Sumomo has been programmed to do wake up exercises every morning and she dances with her tambourine when idle. Later in the series she is joined by another “mobile persocom” called Kotoko who is much more serious and mature, and therefore gets easily annoyed by Sumomo’s antics!
The Sumomo cosplay costume is pink and super cute in the style of a genie (actually, it resembles “I Dream of Jeannie” quite a bit!) Her costume has got puffy sleeves and baggy pants, as well as a sash tied around her waist. The sash is decorated with elaborate patterns on it, but overall it is a nice and simple costume if you wanted to make it yourself.
Sumomo’s hairstyle is pretty simple, with short hair and bangs at the front and a corckscrew ponytail tied at the back. The colour, however, is tricky! It is very difficult to even put your finger on as it seems like a mix of dark pink and purple. Luckily, however, these days it is possible to find a cosplay wig in pretty much any colour under the sun with the help of Amazon and Ebay. You can also even find some wigs pre-styled in Sumomo’s hairstyle.
Sumomo’s shoes are as easy as cosplay shoes can get! They are also super comfortable as they do not have a heel. Just find yourself a pair of pink ballet flats.
If you struggle to find a style which doesn’t have a bow (or other adornments) and is the right shade of pink, you can always buy plain ballet flats in a light colour and dye them using floral paint (see a shoe dyeing tutorial here). Or if you found pink ballet flats with a bow you can try to remove it, just keep in mind it may leave a mark on your shoes to the part where it was attached to.
Sumomo is a noisy and fun character and she uses her tambourine and whistle in the morning exercise routine. These are easy to find anywhere – just try to look for a red tambourine without a drumhead in order to be perfectly accurate. Also, get some red satin ribbon and tie it into a bow onto the handle of the tambourine. While you are shopping in the haberdashery shop, make sure you also get a pink cord to put your whistle on.
The hat, on the other hand, can prove to be more difficult. Even if you buy a ready-made cosplay costume, they will not usually come with a Sumomo hat. However, making one isn’t actually as difficult as you would think! Here’s how I made mine:
How to make a Sumomo hat
- Gather the materials: light pink fabric (same light pink as on the sleeves and throusers if possible), dark pink fabric, medium strong card, wadding, invisible elastic cord.
- Cut the card into a long strip approx. 8 cm (3 in) wide. Fit it on your head to determine the correct size for the hat. When you have chosen the length, secure the ends together with a stapler.
- Cut your wadding to roughly the same width and wrap it around the card. Cut a circle out of the wadding with the same diameter as your card ring. Make a small hole in the middle of the circle for the ponytail to poke through. Sew all of the wadding in place.
- Cut the light pink fabric into a large circle with the same diameter as the card ring or the wadding circle before. Cut also a rectangle strip for the sides which is at least double the width of the card ring.
- Sew the circle onto rectangle strip, with right sides of the fabric touching.
- Fold this “cap” over the layer of wadding, make some folds on to it to make it fit the shape of the ring. These folds will be on the inside of the ring so they will not be visible.
- If you want you can cut another circle of the light pink fabric and sew it onto the inside to cover the wadding but this is optional.
- Cut two small circles (diameter approx. 8 cm / 3 in) out of the dark pink fabric, finish the edges and then hand sew on to the opposite edges of the hat’s sides.
- Cute some invisible elastic and fit it to the right length, then sew on to the inner sides.
Chobits Sumomo, Kotoko and Chii cute cosplay photos
Ok, so on to the fun stuff! I wore this cosplay together with my friend Feeniks and two other friends as Chii and Freya. As the photos prove – this is a super fun cosplay! So what are you waiting for? Get cosplaying today!
Note: I am currently selling the Sumomo Chobits cosplay costume pictured in the photos! View my second hand cosplay costumes for sale page for more information!